Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Verdict


Well, friends and family, the wait is over. Just a week ago I found out I didn't make it into the University of Texas' special funded writing program. So you will not be seeing Rachael and my lovely faces on an Austin City Limits broadcast any time soon. Who knows? Maybe next year. I plan to apply again.

What does this mean? It means that Rachael and I are planning to move, God willing, to the L.A. area sometime this summer or fall depending on our employment situation.

Oh really, you say, and how are you planning to pull this off when unemployment in So-Cal is at 10% and even the Governator can't keep the DMV open for regular hours. Simple. We are looking into some very exciting possibilities in crafting stimulus package legislation. It's all the rage right now.

Seriously though, I have begun applying at various schools (Chapman, Azusa Pacific, UCLA, etc) for Residence Life positions, something with which I have some actual experience. The hope is to get a live-in position that provides benefits, thus allowing us to save lots of moo-lah while we establish our California residency. Meanwhile, I will hopefully be attending UCLA's Professional Program for Screenwriting on Tuesday and Thursday nights. I still have to apply next month, but a writing mentor who happens to be UCLA prof thinks my chances of getting in are good. Even if I don't get in though, we'll be in the general vacinity of what's goin on in the entertainment biz.

Rachael will be looking for ways to make money too. She's considering trying to secure a job in the for-profit sector. More mool-lah again being the operative thought here.

I still want to get my MFA in Screenwriting and even with California residency it will run us about $30 K to get the degree at UCLA, more if I go to USC.

So as usual, we ask for your prayers if you're the praying kind. Also, if you know of any other way to get free/cheap housing in LA that doesn't involve breaking any laws (e.g. we will not become meth lab cooks), we'd be VERY open to hearing from you.

God's peace,

Paul

P.S. Thank you to someone "named" Creationc at http://www.sxc.hu/ for the free pic. You can get all sorts of rad royalty free pics from this website for anyone who's curious.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

God bless in your next adventure Paul.

I do have one suggestion for free housing. Start your own "tent city" on public property and when the cops try to move you, get help from the ACLU. I is free, legal, and you can find lots of support that way... just ask the tent city folks in San Francisco :-)

My name is April. said...

I AM praying. And I will continue to do so. And I'm hoping that maybe just maybe I can see you guys in August. But if not...I'm still praying :-)